Philip Moore, Jr. Stone House was placed on the National Register
of Historic Places in 1975 and is one of the few primitive homes
remaining intact in Southern Ohio. Philip Moore, Jr. was a Revolutionary
War veteran who was born in Allentown, PA in 1761. He started
building the stone house in 1797 and lived there with his wife,
Jemima, and their four children, Levi, Philip, John and Elinor.
Philip Moore, Jr. Stone House is also known as "The Cradle of
Methodism." Many frontier "circuit riders," (itinerant Methodist
ministers) would meet in this house to formulate plans for the
future. This house has been completely restored and preserved.
Philip Moore, Jr. Stone House was built with weathered sandstone
rock found in the region. Moore started building the house in
1797, and people still marvel at its exquisite design and durability.
There are two large fire places on each side of the massive
living room used to heat the all stone house. The back of the
house holds some of the original tools used in construction.
Also, there is the grave stone of Philip Moore and another stone
with Daniel Boone’s autograph. The Methodist Church in Ohio
began here at the Philip Moore, Jr. Stone House.
Philip Moore, Jr. Stone House is available for business functions,
family gatherings, weddings or just a get-a-way!
to schedule a tour or rent the Philip Moore, Jr. Stone House
for the day - 10:00 am til Midnight.